Sunday, October 11, 2009

from the start

I was four years old when I knew I was restless. I couldn't sleep at night because my legs ached. I would whine and cry until my mother would come to my room and gently massage my legs. But the aching remained. I discovered that only constant walking could dull the sensation. So at night, after tossing and turning in my bed for what seemed like hours, I would get up and pace the length of my room. I was too scared to travel far from my bed in the middle of the night, but after a while I would get bored with my room and venture out into the hallway. I would always slowly peek around the doorway first, just to be sure. Even with my eyes adjusted to the dark, I couldn't see very far. The unknown was always a bit frightening.


The hallway led to other rooms, and soon I was wandering through most of the upstairs, constantly walking until my eyes grew heavier than my feet. My parents took me to a doctor and she asked me to describe the feeling in my legs. I told her it was just "the moving way." She smiled and seemed to know exactly what I meant. She said not to worry, I would eventually grow out of it. Sure enough, as I got older, the uncomfortable feeling in my legs disappeared, but my desire to wander did not.


In a few hours I leave for Australia. First stop is Cairns, and it's south from there. I started this blog to give my trip a hint of purpose. I've always thought people who spend their time constantly updating others of their activities and whereabouts are a little too self-absorbed. Maybe I am, I don't know. But I think in the end this site is for me. I enjoy writing and traveling. Combining the two seems like a good idea. And besides, a trip without a record just doesn't feel right. So check in from time to time if you'd like. You're more than welcome. I know my mom will.

10 comments:

  1. I will too, of course. Keep truckin. -- Casey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connor,

    I enjoy reading your commentary. You have a nice flow to your writing. I can live vicariously through you and your trips. The pics tell the other side of the story. Enjoy! Explore! Find excitement! Can't wait for your second entry. Nice opening by the way with the childhood flashback. Maybe you'll have enough for a novella by the time you return.

    Ciao,
    G

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a wonderful trip. You have a wanderlust and writing about it only invites others to develop a wanderlust. Can't wait to hear all about Australia and who knows maybe New Zealand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Parents can be so dumb! We took you to a pediatician when apparently all you needed was a travel agent. Enjoy everything! --Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have an awesome adventure from your travelling aunt and uncle. We know what it is to have the bug. Travel safe.
    Love,
    Aunt Maureen and Uncle Neil

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Conor -- we are all so happy that you took this leap. you have become quite the world traveler! Enjoy it all. take lots of pictures. meet lots of people! Love, Aunt Elizabeth and Uncle, Andrew and Lauren. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry--I thought this was the Bill Bryson blog... Sorry to be slow on the uptake (what else is new?), but great to connect with you, at least via my monitor! Hope you are safe, well, and content!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Conor,
    If you get to Adelaide don't forget to contact our friends Regina and Imre Koszigi at:

    regineurope@hotmail.com

    Travel safe, Auntie M and Uncle Neil

    ReplyDelete
  9. Being tennis buffs, we really enjoyed your account of the open. We hope you contact our friends Imre and Regina.
    Travel safe,
    Aunt M and Uncle N

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a wonderful time in New Zealand and if you get to Christchurch, go into www.acrossnz.com and say hi to Ravit. Watch your speed limit. I got a $75 ticket for going 2 mph over the limit. It appears that this is the way they generate income. Highlights for us was Mt Cook and Milford Sound. Thereis a great sheep farm you can stay at a half an hour from Milford Sound called The Croft. Jane and Ross McEwan www.thecroft.co.nz
    Travel Safe,
    Aunt Maureen and Uncle Neil

    ReplyDelete